Weekly Quote

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.---C. S. Lewis

Friday, April 29, 2011

A Republic

I have alluded, in a past post, to the fact that our form of government is a "Republic" not a "Democracy" as so many call it. Today I read a good article on just that subject and had to share it with you, my gentle readers.

The article is entitled "A Government of Laws and Not of Men: The Electoral College" by Nancy Salvato.

The Founding Fathers were brilliant in their understanding of tyranny and how government and its people work together to create tyranny.  We are moving dangerously close to becoming a democracy.

"Democracy >> Mob Rule >> Anarchy >> Tyranny, under an Oligarchy"

Gentle readers I implore and encourage you to educate yourself on the constitution and its background.  An excellent way to learn about the reasoning of the Founding Fathers is to study the Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers.  You can even study them through SparkNotes!

My question for you today, gentle readers, is "Have you read and/or studied the Constitution, and the Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers?  And if you have did you do it in school or on your own?"

I will make my own confession here and now.  I do not remember studying the Constitution in depth, much less the Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers during my years in the public school system.  As such, gentle reader, I vow to rectify this atrocity starting today.  I will start at SparkNotes and then move to reading the original texts.

No comments: